If you wish to sign up to ParentMail to receive immediate messages via e-mail and/or text, please e-mail your contact details (remembering to tell us the name of your child) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Severe Weather Contingency Plan
I would like to outline the proposed contingency in the event of severe weather conditions. Please read this letter carefully to avoid any possible confusion or potential problems and anxiousness.
The decision to close the school is never taken lightly. My major concern is for the safety of staff and students travelling to school with the prospect of black ice and hazardous road conditions, particularly those who travel a great distance. Additionally, our school is very tricky to navigate in icy conditions – I would not compromise the safety of either our students or our staff.
In the event of severe weather and a contingency being implemented the details will be posted on:
- First option - www.buckscc.gov.uk where you will find a link for school closures
- Second option - www.amersham.bucks.sch.uk
It is important that you check the websites to confirm either full or partial closure on any day. A full explanation of expectations will be detailed for your information. Whilst we will endeavour to record a message for the school answer phone, this is reliant on someone being able to access the school to implement this service – as such it is far better to log onto the Bucks County Council website detailed above.
If you have registered to receive text messages and/or e-mails via ParentMail then these will be activated immediately upon any decision to close the school.
In the event of early closure:
- Ensure that your child has a key to enter the family home
- Ensure that your child has a travel plan to get home safely – walking, parental pick-up, shared lift, going home with a friend for collection later, public transport (if running)
- Ensure that your child has a contact number in the event that they need to contact you
- Ensure that your child comes to school with a suitable black coat, black scarf and suitable footwear. (You may wish to send your child to school with a pair of wellies in a plastic bag!)
I recognise that this may be an inconvenience for you; however it is important that you discuss your desired contingency plan with your child so that they are very aware of your expectations of them. Once the school is closed, it is my expectation that both staff and students would have vacated the premises within a 20 minute period. As such there will not be members of staff on the school site to supervise your child in the event of you failing to adequately plan for your child’s safe early departure.
In the event of an early start:
If there is snow in the morning and the forecast predicts that it will clear early in the day, please follow the timings which will be issued on the websites detailed above and via ParentMail if you have registered to receive messages from them.
- Ensure that your child has a travel plan to get to school in time for the registration time which will be advised on the school website
- Ensure that your child is equipped for the periods that they will be in school.
Sharon E Jarrett